The kids are back to school in the Hutchinson area and the new school year routine has begun. We want to see families establish healthy habits, so here are some Back to School Wellness tips with you.
- Encourage Correct Backpack Use: Choose backpacks with broad straps and use both shoulder straps, not just one. The backpack contents should not exceed 15% of the child’s body weight.
- Stick with Healthy Snacks: Try to avoid processed snacks and instead look for fresh fruits & veggies and homemade energy bars. Keep the kids fueled up for a great school year.
- Reduce Text Neck: Kids (and adults too) can be prone to looking down at a tablet, phone, or laptop. Teach them how to hold the device up to eye level instead of looking down to reduce back and neck pain.
- Stand (& Sit) up Straight: Teach kids how good posture can prevent sore muscles. It can be easy for kids to slouch and slide underneath their desk, but keeping their back against the chair, feet on the floor, and shoulders back will help with spinal health and focus, too.
- Get Involved: Staying active in extra-curricular activities opens up new opportunities to meet new people and learn new skills. Community service is also a great way to get involved (the Tim Orth Memorial Foundation is one of our favorite non-profits that benefits kids).
- Get Adjusted: Our patients include many kids too, not just adults. Kids often feel more energized and can sleep better after chiropractic adjustments.
- Share Kindness: A little kindness goes a long way. Encourage your kids to share kindness with other students, with their teachers, and at home. Small compliments or gestures can go a long way.
- Have Fun: Did you know that laughter is good for you? Sure, education and work are important, but life doesn’t need to be taken so seriously. A good sense of humor will help get a person through life’s challenges and have fun. Even little surprises (like these kids who brought Dr. Dan some goofy glasses to try on) can really brighten someone’s day!